Monday, July 17, 2006

Ive figured it out--Hyperacusis!!!

I have Hyperacusis.
Well, thats a bit of an exaggeration. I have "Selective Soft Sound Sensitivity." Lets start from the beginning:

Ever since I was a little kid I couldnt bear to hear my mother chew gum in the car with me. Shed ask me to fish two (who chews TWO) sticks of gum out of her purse and I would reluctantly do so, knowing that once I did, she'd gnash and pop and squeak and smack her gum all over the place. My sister did it too. And my dad. It got to the point that I almost couldn't eat with my family. I literally felt (and feel) stress in the upper part of my ribcage anytime I hear someone eating.

And everyone eats loudly. Its just a fact of life. Like I said, my whole family eats loudly, all my best friends eat loudly. I once found someone who had the same innate intolerance to loud eating as I did; I thought I'd found my soulmate. Seriously. And the bitch of it is, I know its my deal, not theirs, but even people who know I have this problem think it's kind of funny that Chadé doesn't like smacking. Here, smack smack smack, does that drive you crazy? YES. It drives me up the wall. I dont think you're funny. Im going to go run nails down a chalkboard now. See how you like it.

Anyway, the point it, I've figured it out. While (once again) surfing the internet for some sort of mind-enhancing intellectual article, I found one entitled "The sound of people eating drives me insane." WHAT? Another soulmate? So I read the article, written by someone with a bit of a more intense case than me--he wears headphones to the cafeteria--but who nevertheless has avoided people during meals to avoid the gutwrenching sounds of lip-on-lip-on-tongue-on-teeth. I was linked to a site baout Hyperacusis, which linked me to a subset called Selective Soft Sound Sensitivity. I feel saved.

Therapy: I could get a pink noise CD and listen to it two hours a day and re-tune my ears to being able to tolerate the noise. I honestly think it might be worth it. Im gonna get some personalized moulded earbuds that hum pink noise all day long. Then, maybe, by Christmas, you and I can do lunch. Fuck.

also, if curious: www.hyperacusis.net

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just got out of your bed. it was soft and good.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home