Thursday, July 06, 2006

Siegfried

It's too hot today and I'm eating melting chocolate at my desk because I, for some reason, feel uncomfortable sitting for long periods of time with my coworkers at lunch, language barrier erected. Sometimes I wonder if I need to be alone to be quiet, and when I'm with people if I always need to speak. I've tried changing my MO in that regard and it's unusual but somehow more pleasant. Like I hear more. Or I absorb more.

But, the title of this post demands explanation. There's a man at work named Siegfried but he goes by Ziggy ("like Ziggy Marley"). And he's sexy. And I can't tell you why, but he just is. I have no idea how old he is, he looks between 30 and 40. He's a man of few words. He wears those California-inspired, fake-American-sports-team shirts with the distressed lettering and the irrelevant details. He doesnt say a word to me. And he's apparently pretty important around here.

According to my officemate, Lorenz, he goes by Ziggy because the name Siegfried is so archaic that it sounds oddly out of place. I guess it's like people in America with names like Chester, Dorothy, Emmanuel or Heathcliff. Siegfried means "victory" and "peace" and it comes from the legendary German hero who defeated the Icelandic queen Brunhild to win the hand of Kriemhild (a whole lottery of names right here), only to be killed by Hagen in the one vulnerable spot on the small of his back which had been covered by a leaf while he bathed in dragon's blood. I wonder if that spot on the back could be called your Siegfried's Patch or your Siegfried's Spot like your Achilles Heel. Someone's always vunerable somewhere.

I am very glad that the World Cup is almost over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home